Jonathan Green’s Black Beauty® Sun & Shade Grass Seed is our best selling Black Beauty® grass seed mixture because it performs exceptionally well in either full sun or partial shade growing conditions. This mix is perfect for overseeding and will fill in bare spots quickly to improve the appearance of an entire lawn. Sun & Shade contains the four families of cool-season turfgrasses: turf-type tall fescues, Kentucky bluegrass, perennial ryegrass and fine fescue, making this our most versatile grass seed mixture. This seed germinates in 7 – 14 days.
For the best results, follow the directions below for establishing a new lawn or overseeding an existing one.
- Mow – Mow the lawn at the lowest mower setting before seeding to allow seed to reach the soil.
- Rake – Rake over the existing grass with a metal rake to remove the thatch layer and any debris to loosen the soil. Add additional topsoil to fill in holes and level the ground.
- Check soil pH level – Have a soil test taken to check your soil’s pH level. Optimum soil pH should be between 6.2 to 7.0. For a pH below 6.2 use Jonathan Green MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Acidic & Hard Soil to rapidly increase pH. If the pH is above 7.0 use MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Alkaline & Hard Soil to rapidly decrease the soil pH.
- When to apply – The best time to apply seed is mid-August to mid-October while the ground is still warm and the nights are cooler. Mid-March through mid-May is the next best time to plant, when the soil temperature reaches 55º+ Fahrenheit and the temperature of the air stays consistently warm.
- Spread seed – Apply half of the seed with a rotary spreader in one direction (north to south) and the remainder in the opposite direction (east to west). It is beneficial to spread a new seeding fertilizer that is high in phosphorus at this time as well.
- Rake seed – Rake lightly into the ground with a metal rake. Walk with light, even footsteps on the seedbed to firm the soil around the seed. Do not bury the seed more than one fourth of an inch deep.
- Water – For best germination, water daily to keep the seedbed moist. Continue watering regularly for a few weeks until the grass plants reach a height of 2 – 2.5 inches.
- Mow – Begin mowing when the new grass has reached a height of 3 – 4 inches. Make sure the mower has sharp blades. Be careful not to scalp the lawn, low mowing will stress the root system and encourage the growth of weeds.
- 1 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 750 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 375 sq. ft.
- 3 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 2,250 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 1,125 sq. ft.
- 7 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 5,250 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 2,625 sq. ft.
- 15 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 11,250 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 5,625 sq. ft.
- 25 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 18,750 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 9,375 sq. ft.
Grass Type: Perennial Rye, Kentucky Bluegrass & Fine Fescue
Grass Color: Dark green
Recommended Planting Months: For cool season grasses
- Mid-August through mid-October
- Mid-March through mid-May
Sun Tolerance: Excellent
Shade Tolerance: Excellent
Light Requirements: Full sun to partial shade (4 – 8 hours of sun)
Drought Tolerance: Excellent
Insect & Disease Resistance: Good
High Traffic Tolerance: Good
Planting Depth: ¼ inches
Germination Time: 7 – 14 days