Jonathan Green Corn Gluten Weed Preventer plus Lawn Food feeds the lawn while preventing crabgrass, dandelions and over 25 other broadleaf and grassy weeds. For optimal results apply early in the spring- between March and early May- before weeds germinate. For improved weed control and greening apply up to 4 times a year, in early and late spring and again in early and late fall.
The key factor in achieving great weed control results with this product is the proper timing of the first application. This weed control must be spread on established turfgrasses before the weeds germinate because it is only effective before weeds break the surface of the soil. Do not use this product when seeding because it will affect the new grass seedlings as they germinate. Based upon the organic nature of Corn Gluten Weed Preventer it may take a few seasons to control severe weed populations.
When to Apply:
- The best time to apply is in early spring before target weeds, like crabgrass, dandelions or other broadleaf weeds germinate.
- For improved weed control and greening apply up to 4 times a year: in early and late spring, and early and late fall.
Weed control provided by this product is directly related to proper application rate, but will vary somewhat depending on weather, weed pressure, turfgrass competitiveness, location and climate. It may take a few seasons to control severe weed populations. This product provides “pre-emergence” control meaning it must be used prior to weed germination
- For Lawns:
- Use a rotary or drop lawn spreader. To select the proper setting see the Spreader Settings section in the accordion below.
- Apply around the perimeter of the lawn to establish a turning area. Then run the spreader back and forth within the area outlined by your first perimeter application. Always allow an overlap to avoid gaps in coverage.
- For Gardens:
- Spread Corn Gluten Weed Preventer on the surface of the soil after flowers or other plants have been planted.
- Incorporating this product into the soil will hurt the roots of the flowers, vegetables and landscape plants in the garden.
- Sweep any excess granules off of hard surfaces and back onto the lawn.
- For best results, irrigate the treated area after application for 15 to 30 minutes and then allow to dry for 2 to 3 days. Excessive rainfall or irrigation may require re-application for effective weed control.
- 7.5 lb Bag – 2,500 sq. ft.
- 15 lb Bag – 5,000 sq. ft.
Can be used when seeding: No
Safe for Children & Pets: Yes
Apply to Dry or Damp Lawn: Dry
Application Temperature Range: 55° – 80°F